GCSE Art and Design
Teaching: Sep 2016
The Eduqas Art and Design GCSE is designed to provide engaging, challenging, coherent and
meaningful learning experiences through a flexible structure that supports the sequential
and incremental development of creative practice.
Our rewarding and immersive programme of study broadens experience, develops
imagination and technical skills, fosters creativity and promotes personal and social
The focus of the GCSE Art and Design specification is to nurture an enthusiasm for Art, Craft
and Design and, through a broad introductory foundation programme, to develop critical,
practical and theoretical skills that enable students to gain a holistic understanding of a
range of practices and contexts in the visual arts, crafts and design fields.
Advantages of the Eduqas GCSE Art and Design course include:
• Opportunities for flexible teaching approaches, allowing teachers to make the most of
the resources and expertise available at their centres.
• Content which enables teachers to continue with best practice and confidently plan and
deliver programmes that work to the interests and abilities of their students.
• Breadth of study within a range of titles designed to enable students to develop and
demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and skills.
• Discipline‐specific guidance, which provides supportive amplification of the specialist
processes related to each title within the context of the criteria.
- Our specification includes only one coursework component and the Externally Set Assignment paper offers an open choice of appealing themes, visual assignments or written briefs which are suitable for any art, craft or design discipline.
- We provide teachers with an extensive portfolio of marked exemplar work and a wealth of resources which are all freely available on the website.
- We offer Critical and Contextual Studies as a title option.
- Access to our Art and Design Teacher Network on Facebook
- Access Lightbox: an online supportive tool and a comprehensive Guidance for Teaching resource, with helpful advice on teaching approaches, assessment administration, advocacy materials and FAQs
Lightbox – online resources for teachers and students
Lightbox is an online resource for art, craft and design teachers and students designed to support the objectives of Eduqas art and design qualifications.
You can also unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials on our resources website here.
More events coming soon. Make sure you sign up for updates to know when dates are released.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
Eduqas GCSE Art & Design Preparing for summer 2022 adapted assessment arrangements
Click here for the Powerpoint presentation to go with this webinar.
GCSE Art and Design - Guidance for New Centres
Have a question about GCSE Art and Design?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.