GCSE Film Studies
Teaching: Sep 2017
The WJEC Eduqas specification in GCSE Film Studies is designed to draw on learners' enthusiasm for film and introduce them to a wide variety of cinematic experiences through films which have been important in the development of film and film technology. Learners will develop their knowledge of US mainstream film by studying one film from the 1950s and one film from the later 70s and 80s, thus looking at two stages in Hollywood's development. In addition, they will be studying more recent films – a US independent film as well as films from Europe, including the UK, South Africa and Australia.
Production is an important part of this specification and is integral to learners' study of film. Studying a diverse range of films from several different contexts is designed to give learners the opportunity to apply their knowledge and understanding of how films are constructed to their own filmmaking and screenwriting. This is intended to support learners in producing creative films and screenplays as well as enable their production work to provide an informed filmmaker's perspective on their own study of film.
Why choose Eduqas?
- The opportunity to develop film-making and screenwriting skills to explore and pursue creative interests.
- Support from our regional support team
- Direct access to film subject specialists
Discover FREE Digital Resources!
Unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials.
WJEC/EDUQAS ENDORSED TITLES
|NEW SPEC: WJEC Eduqas GCSE Film Studies: Student Book||978-1-911208-02-0||Jackie Newman, Dave Fairclough, Kelly Fincham, Julie Patrick|
Online Exam Review – gain access to general data, exam questions, marking schemes and examiner comments.
Our Assessment Resources are sets of questions based on specific themes, topics or skills within the qualification. They are optional resources (their use is not mandatory) which have been created to assist teachers in assessing learners in summer 2021. We recommend that you use the Mapping Grid provided initially to help you find appropriate Assessment Resources. Our Mapping Grid has been designed for you to view, at a glance, the content and assessment objectives covered in each Assessment Resource, and then download the relevant Assessment Resource.
- S21-C670QS-Mapping Grid-1.xlsx
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 1.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 2.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 3.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 4.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 5.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 6.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 7.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 8.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 9.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 10.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 11.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 12.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 13.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 14.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 15.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 16.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 17.pdf
- S21-C670QS-AssessmentResource 18.pdf
Training and Guidance for Summer 2021
WJEC Eduqas has produced Professional Learning training and guidance packs to support the application of marking schemes and grading. These view on-demand materials offer expert instruction from senior Eduqas examiners and include marking exemplar and grading exemplar. These materials aim to:
- develop your understanding in applying the marking schemes
- improve your confidence in awarding marks accurately
- exemplify the characteristics of learner responses at differing levels of achievement
- provide guidance on how to grade learner evidence.
These materials are suitable for all teachers who need guidance in marking and grading this qualification, and Heads of Department who wish to internally moderate their team's marking.
These materials are now available for you to access as many times as you wish from our secure website here.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
Have a question about GCSE Film Studies?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are experienced teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.