AS/A Level German
The Listening Paper Recording Audio files can be found under ‘Resources / Key documents / Listening Paper Recordings’.
The Eduqas AS & A level in German provides an engaging and exciting opportunity for students to build on their previous study of German. Through social, intellectual, historical and political cultural themes students will be able to develop their linguistic knowledge and cultural understanding of the countries/communities where the language is spoken. An opportunity to study literature and film will allow students to undertake a deeper analysis of language structures and increase their cultural awareness as part of an integrated approach to language learning. A strong focus is placed on building students' confidence and fluency in spoken German using relevant and topical themes. The requirement to research an area of personal interest related to the country/communities where German is spoken will enhance students' cultural appreciation and enable them to gain a greater awareness of intercultural differences.
The AS & A level in German courses will enable learners to:
- enhance their linguistic skills and promote and develop their capacity for critical thinking on the basis of their knowledge and understanding of the language, culture and society of the countries/communities where the language is spoken
- develop control of the language system to convey meaning, using spoken and written skills, including an extended range of vocabulary, for both practical and intellectual purposes as increasingly confident, accurate and independent users of the language
- develop their ability to interact effectively with users of the language in speech and in writing, including through online media
- develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
- engage critically with intellectually stimulating texts, films and other materials in the original language, developing an appreciation of sophisticated and creative uses of the language and understanding them within their cultural and social context
- develop knowledge about matters central to the society and culture, past and present, of the countries/communities where the language is spoken
- mediate between cultures and between speakers of the language and speakers of English · foster their ability to learn other languages
- equip themselves with transferable skills such as autonomy, resourcefulness, creativity, critical thinking, and linguistic, cultural and cognitive flexibility that will enable them to proceed to further study or to employment
- develop their capacity for critical and analytical thinking through the language of study
- develop as independent researchers through the language of study.
Any requirements set for entry to a course following this specification are at the discretion of centres. It is reasonable to assume that many learners will have achieved qualifications equivalent to Level 2 at KS4. Skills in Numeracy/Mathematics, Literacy/English and Information Communication Technology will provide a good basis for progression to this Level 3 qualification.
This specification builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills established at GCSE German.
Discover FREE Digital Resources!
Unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials.
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.