Teaching: Sep 2016
|Latin Resource Guide - This booklet provides an overview of the support, guidance and resources available to those teaching the Eduqas GCSE Latin specification across our suite of websites.|
The Eduqas GCSE in Latin aims to provide a foundation in linguistic and cultural competence, enabling learners to gain knowledge and understanding of the Roman world through reading and responding to its language and literature. In particular, this specification enables learners to:
- develop and deploy their knowledge of vocabulary, morphology and syntax in order to read, understand and interpret straightforward Latin
- develop their knowledge and understanding of Latin literature and its associated values and society through the study of original texts, adapted and abridged as appropriate
- select, analyse and evaluate evidence to draw informed conclusions from the literature studied to
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the historical, literary and cultural context of a text and
- identify and appreciate its literary form and impact on the reader
- develop and apply their critical, analytical and reflective skills to evaluate evidence from a range of sources
- develop insights into the relevance of the Latin language, its literature and Roman culture to the modern world.
It also encourages learners to:
- deploy their knowledge and understanding of the ancient language to deepen their understanding of English and other languages
- relate their knowledge and understanding of the ancient world to other disciplines
- develop research and analytical skills which will empower them to become independent students and enquirers, equipping them for further study in arts, humanities and sciences.
This GCSE Latin course recognises that learners reach the GCSE standard in Latin through many different routes and amounts of access to learning and teaching time. It therefore aims to allow centres and learners as many opportunities as possible to design courses which most appropriately suit their needs and interests. As this is a non-tiered assessment, Eduqas is aware of the need to satisfy the interests of the whole ability range.
Why choose Eduqas?
- Direct access to our subject specialists
- Choice of set texts and Roman Civilisation topics
- The opportunity to receive centre visits from our Regional Support Team
Free resources to support the teaching of GCSE Latin are available from the Cambridge School Classics Project.
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
Our Assessment Resources are sets of questions based on specific themes, topics or skills within the qualification. They are optional resources (their use is not mandatory) which have been created to assist teachers in assessing learners in summer 2021. We recommend that you use the Mapping Grid provided initially to help you find appropriate Assessment Resources. Our Mapping Grid has been designed for you to view, at a glance, the content and assessment objectives covered in each Assessment Resource, and then download the relevant Assessment Resource.
- S21-C990QS-Mapping Grid-1.xlsx
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 1.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 2.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 3.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 4.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 5.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 6.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 7.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 8.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 9.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 10.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 11.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 12.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 13.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 14.pdf
- S21-C990QS-AssessmentResource 15.pdf
Training and Guidance for Summer 2021
WJEC Eduqas has produced Professional Learning training and guidance packs to support the application of marking schemes and grading. These view on-demand materials offer expert instruction from senior Eduqas examiners and include marking exemplar and grading exemplar. These materials aim to:
- develop your understanding in applying the marking schemes
- improve your confidence in awarding marks accurately
- exemplify the characteristics of learner responses at differing levels of achievement
- provide guidance on how to grade learner evidence.
These materials are suitable for all teachers who need guidance in marking and grading this qualification, and Heads of Department who wish to internally moderate their team's marking.
These materials are now available for you to access as many times as you wish from our secure website here.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
GCSE Latin - New Centre Briefing
GCSE Latin: Component 3A 2019
GCSE Latin: Component 3B 2019
To view the webinar you will need:
- An up to date browser, such as Internet Explorer 8 (or later)
- Adobe Connect and an Adobe plug-in installed
- Use this link to download the software needed
(Please contact your IT Technician if you do not have the rights for your PC to install software)
Have a question about GCSE Latin?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.