GCSE Media Studies
Teaching: Sep 2017
The Eduqas media studies GCSE course offers learners the opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding of these key issues and the ability to debate important questions about the media. It introduces them to a theoretical framework for analysing the media, which also underpins study of the media at AS and A level.
Although the specification focuses predominantly on the contemporary media, this is contextualised and enhanced through the exploration of significant products from different historical periods. Through studying both established and evolving media forms, learners will gain a real awareness of the role of the media in society and culture. The study of a range of rich and stimulating media products is central to this specification, working from the product outwards to develop appreciation and understanding of the media. Learners will draw on their existing experience of the media but will also extend their appreciation and critical understanding through the study of products with which they may be less familiar, including products for different audiences. Choice is an important part of the specification, enabling teachers to select the most appropriate, relevant and engaging products for study for their learners in Component 2.
This specification also recognises the fundamental relationship between theoretical understanding and practical work, providing learners with exciting opportunities to develop media production skills. Learners will apply and develop their knowledge and understanding of media language and representation in relation to media forms and products and become creators of meaning themselves. Learners will be offered a choice of briefs and forms within which to work, enabling them to explore and pursue their own media interests.
The Eduqas GCSE in Media Studies offers a broad, coherent and engaging course of study which enables learners to:
- Demonstrate skills of enquiry, critical thinking, decision-making and analysis
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of a range of important media issues
- Develop appreciation and critical understanding of the media and their role both historically and currently in society, culture and politics
- Understand and apply specialist subject-specific terminology to analyse and compare media products and the contexts in which they are produced and consumed in order to make informed arguments, reach substantiated judgements and draw conclusions about media issues
- Appreciate how theoretical understanding supports practice and practice supports theoretical understanding
- Develop practical skills by providing opportunities for creative media production.
There are no previous learning requirements for this specification. Any requirements set for entry to a course based on this specification are at the school/college’s discretion. This specification builds on subject content which is typically taught at key stage 3 and provides a suitable foundation for the study of A level media studies.
- A choice of options for production
- A choice of options for the set products/texts
- Direct access to Subject specialists
- Topics and products/texts chosen to appeal to GCSE students
- Creative work which is central to the course
Discover FREE Digital Resources!
Unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials.
WJEC/EDUQAS ENDORSED TITLES
|NEW SPEC! WJEC/Eduqas GCSE Media Studies||978-1-911208-48-8|
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
More events coming soon. Make sure you sign up for updates to know when dates are released.
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
Please visit our Secure Website to view training materials for this subject.
Have a question about GCSE Media Studies?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.