AS/A Level Spanish
Teaching: Sep 2016
The Listening Paper Recording Audio files can be found under ‘Resources / Key documents / Listening Paper Recordings’.
The Eduqas A level & As level in Spanish provides an engaging and exciting opportunity for students to build on their previous study of Spanish. Through social, intellectual, historical and political cultural themes students will be able to develop their linguistic knowledge and cultural understanding of the countries/communities where the language is spoken. An opportunity to study literature and film will allow students to undertake a deeper analysis of language structures and increase their cultural awareness as part of an integrated approach to language learning. A strong focus is placed on building students' confidence and fluency in spoken Spanish using relevant and topical themes. The requirement to research an area of personal interest related to the country/communities where Spanish is spoken will enhance students' cultural appreciation and enable them to gain a greater awareness of intercultural differences.
This A level in Spanish will enable learners to:
- enhance their linguistic skills and promote and develop their capacity for critical
thinking on the basis of their knowledge and understanding of the language, culture and society of the countries/communities where the language is spoken
- develop control of the language system to convey meaning, using spoken and
written skills, including an extended range of vocabulary, for both practical and
intellectual purposes as increasingly confident, accurate and independent users of the language
- develop their ability to interact effectively with users of the language in speech and in writing, including through online media
- develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
- engage critically with intellectually stimulating texts, films and other materials in the original language, developing an appreciation of sophisticated and creative uses of the language and understanding them within their cultural and social context
- develop knowledge about matters central to the society and culture, past and
present, of the countries/communities where the language is spoken
- mediate between cultures and between speakers of the language and speakers of English
- foster their ability to learn other languages
- equip themselves with transferable skills such as autonomy, resourcefulness,
creativity, critical thinking, and linguistic, cultural and cognitive flexibility that will enable them to proceed to further study or to employment
- develop their capacity for critical and analytical thinking through the language of study
- develop as independent researchers through the language of study.
These free digital resources support the teaching and learning of subjects offered by WJEC. Teachers will need to determine how they utilise the resources in the classroom to ensure their greatest effect.
Welcome to the WJEC’s Online Exam Review website. Here you will find a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
Our Assessment Resources are sets of questions based on specific themes, topics or skills within the qualification. They are optional resources (their use is not mandatory) which have been created to assist teachers in assessing learners in summer 2021. We recommend that you use the Mapping Grid provided initially to help you find appropriate Assessment Resources. Our Mapping Grid has been designed for you to view, at a glance, the content and assessment objectives covered in each Assessment Resource, and then download the relevant Assessment Resource.
- S21-A810QS-Mapping Grid-1.xlsx
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 1.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 2.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 3.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 4.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 5.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 6.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 7.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 8.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 9.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 10.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 11.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 12.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 13.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 14.pdf
- S21-A810QS-AssessmentResource 15.pdf
- S21-B810QS-Mapping Grid-1.xlsx
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 1.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 2.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 3.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 4.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 5.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 6.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 7.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 8.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 9.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 10.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 11.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 12.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 13.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 14.pdf
- S21-B810QS-AssessmentResource 15.pdf
Training and Guidance for Summer 2021
WJEC Eduqas has produced Professional Learning training and guidance packs to support the application of marking schemes and grading. These view on-demand materials offer expert instruction from senior Eduqas examiners and include marking exemplar and grading exemplar. These materials aim to:
- develop your understanding in applying the marking schemes
- improve your confidence in awarding marks accurately
- exemplify the characteristics of learner responses at differing levels of achievement
- provide guidance on how to grade learner evidence.
These materials are suitable for all teachers who need guidance in marking and grading this qualification, and Heads of Department who wish to internally moderate their team's marking.
These materials are now available for you to access as many times as you wish from our secure website here.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
Please visit our secure website to view training materials for this subject.
Have a question about AS/A Level Spanish?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are experienced teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.