GCSE Computer Science
Teaching: Sep 2020
The Eduqas GCSE in Computer Science encourages learners to:
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms, and data representation
- Analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems, including designing, writing and debugging programs to do so
- Think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- Understand the components that make up digital systems, and how they communicate with one another and with other systems
- Understand the impacts of digital technology to the individual and to wider society
- Apply mathematical skills relevant to computer science.
Computers are widely used in all aspects of business, industry, government, education, leisure and the home. In this technological age, a study of computer science, and particularly how computers are used in the solution of a variety of problems, is essential to learners. Computer science integrates well with subjects across the curriculum. It demands both logical discipline and imaginative creativity in the selection and design of algorithms and the writing, testing and debugging of programs; it relies on an understanding of the rules of language at a fundamental level; it encourages an awareness of the management and organisation of computer systems; it extends learners’ horizons beyond the school or college environment in the appreciation of the effects of computer science on society and individuals.
The Eduqas GCSE in Computer Science has been designed to give an understanding of the fundamental concepts of computer science and a broad scope of study opportunities. This specification has been designed to free centres to concentrate on innovative delivery of the course by having a streamlined, uncomplicated, future-proof structure, with realistic technological requirements.
This specification provides a suitable foundation for the study of computer science at AS and A level. In addition, the specification provides a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for learners who do not progress to further study in this subject.
These free digital resources support the teaching and learning of subjects offered by WJEC. Teachers will need to determine how they utilise the resources in the classroom to ensure their greatest effect.
There are no endorsed textbooks available for this qualification.
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
Please visit our secure website to view training materials for this subject.
Online CPD Webinars - GCSE Computer Science
Click on the image below to gain access to our online Professional Learning webinar recording.
- You will need: An up to date browser, such as Internet Explorer 8 (or later)
- Adobe Connect and an Adobe plug-in installed
- Use this link to download the software needed
(Please contact your IT Technician if you do not have the rights for your PC to install software)
Have a question about GCSE Computer Science?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.