Teaching: Sep 2016
The Eduqas GCSE in History encourages learners to: develop their interest in and enthusiasm for history and an understanding of its intrinsic value and significance
- develop and extend their knowledge and understanding of specific historical events, periods and societies
- acquire an understanding of different identities, including their own, within a society and an appreciation of social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity
- build on their understanding of the past and the diversity of human experience through experiencing a broad and balanced course of study
- improve as effective, independent and resilient learners and as critical and reflective thinkers through a process of historical enquiry
- develop the ability to ask relevant and considered questions about the past and to investigate historical issues critically
- acquire an understanding of the nature of historical study, for example, that history is concerned with judgements based on available evidence and that some historical judgements may be more valid than others
- develop their use and understanding of historical terms, concepts and skills
- develop the ability to construct valid and realistic historical claims by using a range of sources in context
- develop a critical appreciation of the concept of historical significance and why some people, events and developments are seen as historically significant
- develop a critical appreciation of how and why different interpretations have been constructed about historically significant people, events and developments
- make links and draw comparisons within and/or across different periods and aspects of the past
- organise and communicate their historical knowledge and understanding in different ways, arguing a case and reaching substantiated judgements
- create their own structured accounts, selecting organising and communicating their knowledge and understanding in written narratives
- create their own balanced, reasoned and well substantiated extended responses.
The Eduqas GCSE in History is attractive, giving learners the opportunity to study:
history from three eras: Medieval (500-1500), Early Modern (1450-1750) and Modern (1700-present day)
Specific aspects of the past in depth (short term), and breadth (medium and long term) history in three geographical contexts: local, British and European and/or Wider World settings continuity, change, cause, consequence, significance and similarity and difference over different periods of time both short term, medium term and long term the nature and purpose of history as a discipline.
The structure of the specification is distinctive, giving learners the opportunity to study history in depth and in breadth. The structure of the GCSE history course allows learners to make a clear distinction between the study of history in the short term and the medium and long term. It provides, therefore, a substantial programme of study.
At the same time it actively encourages connections between different periods and eras in history, and as such represents a coherent programme of study.
- Access to our Sample Assessment Materials and detailed Guidance for Teachers document.
- A range of sample responses for a variety of questions from both components.
Discover FREE Digital Resources!
Unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials.
WJEC/EDUQAS ENDORSED TITLES
|WJEC Eduqas GCSE History: The Elizabethan Age, 1558–1603||9781471868078|
|WJEC Eduqas GCSE History: Germany in transition, 1919–39||9781471868115|
|WJEC Eduqas GCSE History:The Development of the USA, 1929–2000||9781471868146|
|WJEC Eduqas GCSE History: Changes in Health and Medicine, c500 to the present day||9781471868177|
WJEC/EDUQAS NON-ENDORSED TITLES
|My Revision Notes: WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) History||9781510403826|
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
Thinking about Eduqas GCSE History - FREE EVENT (England centres only)
Online - 09/11/2021 16:30
Have a question about GCSE History?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.