AS/A Level Media Studies
The Eduqas AS & A level in media studies offers learners the opportunity to develop a thorough and in depth understanding of key issues, using a comprehensive theoretical framework and a variety of advanced theoretical approaches and theories to support critical exploration and reflection, analysis and debate. The study of a wide range of rich and stimulating media products is central to the specification, offering opportunities for detailed analysis of how the media communicate meanings in a variety of forms. Learners will work from the product outwards to debate key critical questions related to the social, cultural, political and economic role of the media. Through studying media products holistically in relation to all areas of the theoretical framework, learners will engage with the dynamic relationships between media products, media industries and audiences. Learners will also consider established media forms alongside more contemporary forms, developing an awareness of emerging and evolving media.
Although the primary emphasis in this specification is on the contemporary media, learners will explore how the products relate to their wider historical contexts. Learners will also extend their experience of the media through the study of products with which they may be less familiar, including those produced by or for a minority group, non-mainstream and non-English language products. This specification aims to develop knowledge and understanding of the transnational nature of the media, considering the effect of different national contexts on representations in media products, the global reach of media industries, and the targeting of audiences on a national and global scale.
Choice and flexibility are a vital part of the specification, enabling teachers to select the most appropriate, relevant and engaging products for their learners to study in Component 2.
This specification also recognises the fundamental relationship between theoretical understanding and practical work, providing learners with exciting opportunities to develop media production skills in different forms, apply their knowledge and understanding of the theoretical framework to media forms and products, and become creators of meaning themselves. Learners will be offered a choice of briefs and forms within which to work, enabling them to explore and pursue their own media interests.
The Eduqas AS & A level in Media Studies offers a broad, engaging and stimulating course of study which enables learners to:
- Demonstrate skills of enquiry, critical thinking, decision-making and analysis
- Demonstrate a critical approach to media issues
- Demonstrate appreciation and critical understanding of the media and their role both historically and currently in society, culture, politics and the economy
- Develop an understanding of the dynamic and changing relationships between media forms, products, industries and audiences
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the global nature of the media
- Apply theoretical knowledge and specialist subject specific terminology to analyse and compare media products and the contexts in which they are produced and consumed
- Make informed arguments, reach substantiated judgements and draw conclusions about media issues
- Engage in critical debate about academic theories used in media studies
- Appreciate how theoretical understanding supports practice and practice supports theoretical understanding
- Demonstrate sophisticated practical skills by providing opportunities for creative media production.
Any requirements set for entry to a course following this specification are at the discretion of centres. It is reasonable to assume that many learners will have achieved qualifications equivalent to Level 2 at KS4. Skills in literacy and analysis will provide a good basis for progression to this Level 3 qualification. Some learners will have already gained knowledge, understanding, and skills through their study of GCSE media studies.
- A choice of options for production
- A choice of options for the set products/texts
- Topics and products/texts chosen to appeal to students
- Creative work which is central to the course
- Unlimited access to free resources
- Face-to-face professional learning courses
- Uniform design across GCSE, AS and A level to allow for coherent progression
- Flexibility for teachers to choose relevant and appropriate texts/products
- Direct access to Subject specialists
- Support from our Regional Representatives
Discover FREE Digital Resources!
Unlock your learners’ potential with an impressive range of FREE digital resources, teaching tools and materials.
WJEC/EDUQAS ENDORSED TITLES
|NEW: WJEC/Eduqas Media Studies For A Lvl Yr 1 & AS: Student Book||978-1-911208-10-5|
|NEW: WJEC/Eduqas Media Studies For A Lvl Yr 2 & A2: Student Book||978-1-911208-11-2|
WJEC/EDUQAS NON-ENDORSED TITLES
|WJEC/Eduqas Media Studies for Year 1 & AS: Revision Guide||978-1-911208-87-7|
|WJEC/Eduqas Media Studies for Year 2 & A2: Revision Guide||978-1-912820-18-4|
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.