GCSE Religious Studies
Teaching: Nov 2016
The Eduqas GCSE in Religious Studies aims to:
- Develops learners’ knowledge and understanding of religions and non-religious beliefs, such as atheism and humanism
- Develops learners’ knowledge and understanding of religious beliefs, teachings, practices, and sources of wisdom and authority, including through their reading of
key religious texts, other texts, and scriptures of the religions they are studying
- Develops learners’ ability to construct well-argued, well-informed, balanced and structured written arguments, demonstrating their depth and breadth of understanding of the subject
- Provides opportunities for learners to engage with questions of belief, value, meaning, purpose, truth, and their influence on human life
- Challenges learners to reflect on and develop their own values, beliefs and attitudes in the light of what they have learnt and contributes to their preparation for adult life in a pluralistic society and global community.
Following this specification will enable learners to:
- Deepen their understanding of the relationship between people
- Become informed about common and divergent views within traditions in the way beliefs and teachings are understood and expressed
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the fact that religious traditions of Great Britain are, in the main, Christian
- Understand that religious traditions in Great Britain are diverse and include the following religions: Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism, as well as non-religious beliefs, such as atheism and humanism.
Eduqas GCSE Religious Studies takes a distinctive issues based approach to the study of religious, philosophical and ethical studies in the modern world. The course will also enable learners to gain knowledge and understanding of two religions. Following up from this a student may go on to study A level religious studies.
|Why choose Eduqas?|
An introduction to Route A
An introduction to Route B
Further guidance based on CPD materials - Route A
Further guidance based on CPD materials – Route B
- Direct access to an experienced subject specialist, via email or phone, with no call centres.
- Access to our free digital resources website which hosts a wealth of free material including a glossary of key terms, example schemes of learning and a booklet containing all textual references that appear in the specifications.
- Textbooks are available to support the teaching of our specifications.
These free digital resources support the teaching and learning of subjects offered by WJEC. Teachers will need to determine how they utilise the resources in the classroom to ensure their greatest effect.
WJEC/EDUQAS ENDORSED TITLES
WJEC/EDUQAS NON-ENDORSED TITLES
|My Revision Notes WJEC Eduqas GCSE (9-1) Religious Studies Route A||9781510414624|
|My Revision Notes WJEC Eduqas GCSE Religious Studies Route B||9781510418356|
Access a collection of interactive units that bring together a number of elements including general data, exam questions, their marking schemes and examiner comments, which will lead you through a review of exam questions.
More events coming soon. Make sure you sign up for updates to know when dates are released.
Training and Guidance for Summer 2021
WJEC Eduqas has produced Professional Learning training and guidance packs to support the application of marking schemes and grading. These view on-demand materials offer expert instruction from senior Eduqas examiners and include marking exemplar and grading exemplar. These materials aim to:
- develop your understanding in applying the marking schemes
- improve your confidence in awarding marks accurately
- exemplify the characteristics of learner responses at differing levels of achievement
- provide guidance on how to grade learner evidence.
These materials are suitable for all teachers who need guidance in marking and grading this qualification, and Heads of Department who wish to internally moderate their team's marking.
These materials are now available for you to access as many times as you wish from our secure website here.
Upcoming Professional Learning Events
There are no live events currently scheduled for this qualification.
Our annual programme is published and open for bookings during the summer term. Sign up for the latest updates here.
Materials from previous courses can be found on the Secure website and/or under the Materials tab.
Have a question about GCSE Religious Studies?
Our subject team is happy to help you with all your queries related to the teaching and learning of our specifications. Our Subject Officers are all former teachers and are here to support you with delivering our qualifications. Get in touch with us via e-mail or telephone.